Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lacking Conversation

I'm in the last stretch of the six month mark of working full-time for my business, and I finally feel the loneliness of being the only employee in the shop.

In the view of my friends, this is the life. I get to work on my own terms -- no manager breathing down my neck, no morning meetings to discuss data analysis of the previous day, no presentations to give to the director, etc.

But in reality, I experience a lot of those things in a different way. I don't have a manager, but I have my own conscience that is constantly thinking about when I need to ship bags and whether I should skip lunch or dinner so I can get bags made in time for shipment.

No morning meetings, but instead I spend the first 1.5 hours of my morning answering Etsy convos, e-mails, and I analyze the data from Google Analytics to see how I can improve my web presence and sales.

I don't give presentations to any directors, but I do have craft sales where I feel like I'm giving a presentation (to potential customers) in hopes of receiving some positive feedback on my progress.

Running a business is tough because you're playing so many roles from administrative work, customer service, manufacturing, photography, modeling, marketing, selling, and packaging for shipping. All done by one person. With no one else to talk to and bounce ideas off of to improve work efficiency (though I do get a lot of feedback from The Boy on ways to improve the business work flow).

I will admit, it is nice working from home, though it does get lonely as my only conversations are to my pug Hubert, and to my Facebook/Twitter friends. It's good, but not nearly as fun as talking face to face with a human being. Plus, I think this is slowly degrading my verbal communication skills.

The times I look forward to most are when The Boy comes home for lunch. That's when I get to see and speak to a person, and it feels really great to have an hour or more to have that needed conversation to get me through the rest of my day. It's when The Boy has lunch with his co-workers when my workday is the worst. It's a full 9-12 hours of no human interaction. Fortunately, those are rare.

But I won't ramble on too long about working alone at home. It started snowing here just a couple hours ago, and it was just the break I needed to stop sewing, put on my winter boots and coat and take some pictures. I hope you enjoy!

Snow in Austin
Snow in Austin
Snow in Austin
Snow in Austin
Snow in Austin
Snow in Austin
Snow in Austin
Hubert looks out the window
Hubert in the snow
Hubert in the snow

4 comments:

  1. Jenny: Thank you for the beautiful pictures of frosty Texas. They are so still and serene: the very thing I love about snow.

    When I left my office job to work at home, I felt much of the same: it suddenly was strangely quiet and the simple conversations of the day went unsaid. I'm glad your sweetie joins you for a midday meal, at least you have a human to look forward to connecting with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that is what Texas looks like right now. Crazy!

    Well, I'm glad you have someone to come home during lunch to give you some company. Maybe you can take time to enjoy a book for an hour on the days he's not able to make it home. It'll keep you from thinking about the lack of human interaction throughout the day. Hope you have a wonderful day today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the support. :)

    I added two more pictures of Hubert in the snow for you to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can call me anytime! :-) In fact, I'll let you talk to all my kids too! Do you like horses? My daughter will talk your ear off. :-)

    ReplyDelete