Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Life Update: Drivers License

American Apparel flea market
American Apparel flea market


This may come as a surprise to some of you, and a well-known fact for others. I can't drive (but now I can, as of yesterday). Story of my life.

When my brother turned 16 and could drive, I was 14 and always had a ride. Woohoo!

I turned 16 and my brother went to college. My mom agreed to drive me everywhere so that we could have more "bonding time" before I go to college (mainly to save money on insurance). Little did she know that I was working at Banana Republic 20 hours/week, president of a school organization, involved in 4+ other school organizations, training to become a fitness instructor, and still in high school. We had a lot of bonding time. Good thing, because she's my best friend ever! :)

I went to college and you really don't need a car in Austin when you're living around campus. The public transportation system is amazing (and free for students!). I could get to the mall, grocery store, and ride my bike everywhere else I needed to go.

I graduated college and started working full-time for myself at home. Not bad, no need for a car. I order everything I need online (and the apartment management wonders why I receive so many packages daily) for myself and business. I use Endicia for printing shipping labels (best for First Class International) and use USPS Carrier Pickup. The UPS, USPS, FedEx people love me. :) No need to leave the apartment!

Well, there comes a time when I need to leave the nest and get the celery I forgot to buy during the grocery run. Or when I need to have a Chick-fil-a lunch date with my friend Nathan. Or would prefer going to the mall to try clothes to save on shipping costs and returns. Or take Hubert to the park during the day because the boys refuse to have him shed in their new cars.

There are always those little times when you need that little bit of independence. It was about that time.

My brother set up a WRITTEN CONTRACT that I signed in agreement to have my license by March 8th (Back story - I introduced written contracts between my brother and me because he often forgets a lot of compromises and agreements). He stuck it to the fridge and that was that. The Boy showed me all the ropes in the month before the deadline. I also totally p0wn'd parallel parking my first try! Take that!

All with my parent's old '91 Camry. It's our family initiation car. My brother drove it when he started working, and now it's mine. :)

10 days after my agreed deadline, I have a license. Thank god. 

To celebrate, The Boy took me (he does NOT want me driving during SXSW - Austin traffic is RIDICULOUS right now) to the American Apparel Factory Flea Market and I bought a pile of stuff, for super cheap.

I'm happy. :)

4 comments:

  1. congrats! that's a fab accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! that's so fun! now you'll be out and about all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! The independence you get with a driver's license is totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shout-out to me! I eat Chick Fil A at least 3 times a week (the south location is close to work) and miss our lunch dates every time I take a bite!

    Big time congrats on the license! Let's plan lunch soon.

    ReplyDelete