Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Observing the Gig Line

My dad asked me if women observe the gig line like men.

Back story: My dad is a military man (we did push-ups as punishment rather than getting grounded).

Ever since I started wearing belts, my dad taught me to always align my buttons with the buckle of my belt. That's the way they do it in the military, and that's the way I always wore my belts. Until...

High school. I went through this wear-a-necktie-like-a-belt phase because I liked weird accessories and my dad's neckties were available and plentiful.

Then I went through a bright-belt phase where I would buy neon colored belts and wear them with my all-black attire (when I went through a wear-all-black phase). I also slid the buckle off to the side. I guess I was an accessory rebel back in my youth.

Thus, when my dad asks me if women observe the gig line (which is the alignment of the belt buckle with the buttons of the shirt and pant fly), I did a little research and found that belts don't follow a particular rule and wearing them in every way EXCEPT traditionally is the way to go. :)

See figure below.



Observing the Gig Line
a. Banana Republic
b. Free People
c. Alexander Wang (from ShopBop)
d. J. Crew


Love,
Jenny

p.s. I'm making a slight change to the Clutch, so keep an eye out for a new upgrade option! :)

3 comments:

  1. great outfits!

    -Erica
    http://allaboutitt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great you have those memories of your dad. . my dad was in the army and i have those little memories as well

    great blog by the way :)

    http://twopatentpumps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I love this!

    My first thought was, duh, *of course* I observe the gig line! How else would you do it--buckle lines up with buttons, all centered.

    But in reality, my first instinct (whether it's a tie-belt or regular belt with buckle) is to put the knot or buckle off-center. Sometimes that just doesn't look right, at which times I will observe the gig line. (And will from now on remember and use this great phrase--thanks to you and your dad!)

    ReplyDelete