Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Birthday Recap: Part I


That's the Mero! Photograph by Carlton Wade via Chef Josh Watkins

Well, turning 24 wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm really glad that I got to celebrate it with my friends! :)

The birthday weekend started off with a trip to The Carillon with The Boy. We ordered the 6 Course Tasting each and we had everything paired with wine. Yes, 6 servings of wine. I don't know if I remember the last course. Just kidding, it was delicious!

This was our menu:

Course 0
Smoked tenderloin with traditional tomato confit (jam) & Tomato sorbet with basil

Course 1
Hamachi Crudo with hazelnuts, currants and ponzu

Course 2
Seared Mero (Argentinian Sea Bass) with spinach and shiitake mushrooms in a really yummy orange sauce that I forgot the contents of... :(

Course 3
Crisp Pork Belly with diablo glaze, asian pear salad, and fried mint

Course 4
Bacon Crusted Sea Scallop with butter poached fingerling potatoes, sunny side up quail egg and bearnaise

Course 5
Texas Coffee Rubbed New York Strip with roasted parsnips, candied garlic and mesquite syrup

Course 6
Guanaja Chocolate Terrine with burnt orange reduction and cardamom cream

Course 6.5
Cardamom Creme Brulee

Unfortunately,  I don't remember all the wines, but I do remember we had the High Note Malbec at some point between course 1-4 and with dessert my favorite wine of all, Michele Chiarlo Nivole Muscat D'Asti.

Our experience was delightful and delicious as always. Our first time was for Valentine's, the second for our One Year Anniversary, and this time was for my birthday! :)

Though our best experience ever was our second time - we had a wonderful server, Christof who started us off with a bottle of champagne, ended it with a yummy goat cheese cheesecake with "Happy Anniversary" piped on the plate, and then got to meet the Chef du Cuisine! You can't beat that, right?

Following dessert we waddled our way down town to 219 West for my birthday Chocolatini. Then I passed out.

Not really, we met up with some friends for a fun night of dancing! Then we decided that we were too old to stay out until last call and went home, happy and full.

Part II coming next!

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday - food looks & sounds incredible! :)

    Be sure to enter my fashion giveaway to win a ModCloth leather jacket
    www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com
    X

    P.S. your designs are wonderful! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Pork belly, cardamom, goat cheese--these are a few of my favorite things. Sounds like a perfect birthday, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete