Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chinese BBQ Lettuce Wraps

Chinese BBQ Pork Wraps

When I have pork and veggies left over, I usually get help from the grocery store and get a package of Chinese BBQ seasoning (the red one) and make what I call "Chinese BBQ Lettuce Wraps". It's The Boy's favorite even though its the easiest thing for me to prepare. It's a blessing.

Oh, you noticed these weren't wrapped in lettuce? Well, I had a lot of the rice wrap left over from Goi Cuon that I decided to just shred lettuce because I had iceberg instead of something a little heartier and easier to use as a wrap.

Remember the noodles from Bun Bo Hue? I also used the rest of that for this dish.  I'm so resourceful, huh? I like to use EVERYTHING I have in the fridge so that it's nearly empty.  That reminds me of the series of "You Are What You Eat" pictures of people's fridges. I should try that. Maybe the next post...

Chinese BBQ Pork Wraps
Chinese BBQ Pork Wraps
Chinese BBQ Pork Wraps

Slice pork (0.75" thickness) and throw it in a zip top bag. Pour the contents of the seasoning package in there and shake. You think you're done because all it says is add water, but you know me. I pour in a generous dose of soy sauce, red chili paste, and oil then mix well. I let it sit in the fridge overnight.

The next day, about 45 minutes before the guys come home from work, I prepare carrot, cucumber, lettuce and cilantro. You can add way more vegetables (bean sprouts, Thai basil, etc.) but this was all I had in the fridge.

For the dipping sauce I use what The Boy made up the first time I prepared this dish - equalish parts soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and sriracha. It's delicious and perfectly spicy and savory. I call The Boy my Saucier. :)

Then I head outside and grill the seasoned pork until done. Slice and plate. Let everyone make their own "wraps" because it's way more fun that way. That and The Boy and The Bro pretty much stack the entire thing with meat and little veggies. Boys.

2 comments:

  1. i've never had a bbq wrap. i've had lettuce wraps before.yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so goood right now...

    ReplyDelete