Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thịt Bò Lúc Lắc

Thit Bo Luc Lac

Last night was so rainy and stormy that I had very little to no light to work with to photograph these plates. I opened the blinds and I couldn't see anything!

It was nearly pitch black at 7 p.m. and the boys were complaining that they couldn't see their food while I was trying to get a decent photo. So I set my camera on a tripod, tried to focus as best I could (with my manual focus lens) and snapped 3 long exposure pictures. Two came out in-ish focus. Good enough for me.

Surprisingly, they don't look too different from the pictures I normally take with lots of sunlight. The power of the DSLR and their huge sensors.

Thit Bo Luc Lac

Anyway, I'm on a beef crave. These follow those you-know-what times.

I like making this dish when I don't feel like doing anything complicated and only want to spend 15 minutes in the kitchen preparing something.

Thit Bo Luc Lac literally translates to Beef Shaking (or Shaking Beef), and this is named after the shaking motion you use to move the cubes around to brown and cook in the wok. Creative, huh? :)

This dish is normally made with oyster sauce for its brownness, but I typically don't use oyster sauce. Not sure why, I guess I haven't found a big reason to purchase a bottle yet? I made due with what I have, as always. And if that isn't enough modifying, I also added some spice, because we love spicey in this house.

Oh, and it's also normally served on a bed of watercress, but I was really in the mood for bok choy and mushrooms so I thought I would make something with that.

Can I even still call it Thit Bo Luc Lac? 

Ingredients
Beef (I used Chuck Roast)
Onions (I used Sweet Yellow Onions)
Garlic

Sauce
Soy Sauce
Sweet Chili Sauce
Brown Sugar
Pepper
Garlic

Side Dish
Bok Choy
Shiitake Mushrooms

In a separate bowl, mix cubed beef, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, brown sugar, pepper and any additional seasoning you like (I actually use my steak seasoning combo of garlic tenderizer, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika).

Sweat diced onion and garlic. Throw in beef and let brown. I flip the beef over by shaking my wok (Like the pros on TV! Except not as flashy).

For the side dish, I put a pad of butter and diced garlic in a frying pan and add baby bok choy and sliced shiitake mushrooms in the pan. I ladle some of the sauce from the beef dish in and do that same shaky-flippy motion with the wok until it's cooked yet still crispy (I love crispy veggies!).

Serve on a bed of rice and enjoy.

Guys love this dish, probably because it's got a lot of meat and earthy vegetables in it. It's super simple and quick so I definitely don't mind making it when in a bind for time.

No comments:

Post a Comment