Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Meatballs, Parsnip Mash with Gravy, and Steamed Broccoli

Meatballs, Parsnip Mash with gravy, Steamed broccoli

You know how I told you yesterday that I bought ground turkey? Turns out I bought ground beef. Even when I try to get more lean meats, I inadvertently go to beef. I guess I just can't get away from cows. :)

Today was not super productive. I think I spent most of the day answering e-mails than sewing. I finished a small batch of Clutches and will install the hardware tomorrow because I'm so tired. Then I got to thinking, "Why have I been so tired lately?"

Then I figured it out.

I've been sewing everyday and every weekend for at least 12 hours a day since August 7th to prepare for Austin Fashion Week, then Renegade Chicago, then Pecan Street Festival and all at the same time keeping up with orders. Yesterday was the first day I didn't sew in almost two months. During my lunch break yesterday, I turned on the TV and immediately passed out for 30 minutes. Best. Powernap. Ever.

It's time for a break. I've been asked several times if I have any intentions of expanding my business and hiring help. I have thought about it, but I'm not ready to share the duties. I love being the one to talk to customers, source my materials, cut and pin fabric, cut and clip leather, sew all the bags, photograph them, package them to ship, and travel to vendor fairs to share the love. I don't know what part of it I can share with someone else. Though The Boy does help a lot with the selling at vendor events - he's so great with customers!

I do have one employee (my mom) who is my accountant, whom I pay in flawed bags each quarter. It wasn't my idea. I wanted to pay her with money but she is such a frugal spender that she would just save all the money and hand it back to me in some way. So she requested the bags that I mess up because she likes to show her friends (and strangers) her bags, "Look! My daughter made this, and see, she even messed up here! Isn't that cute?!" Moms. So weird. They even love our flaws.

Wow, tangent. Now I don't want to discuss how I made dinner. It was easy though, just season meat, roll into a ball and cook. Use the drippings to make gravy. Cook parsnips and mash in butter and milk, add salt and pepper to taste. Steam broccoli. Voila!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Ha That looks good! :) What meat did you use by the way? What a fun and healthy meal, I will have to try it sometime! :)

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used ground beef. Ground turkey works, too! And cranberry sauce. Mmm, I should do that next time.

    ReplyDelete