Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Goodbye, Austin


i heart Texas necklace from truche

From the title, you can guess what the big news is. Yep, The Boy and I are moving. In TWO WEEKS! He got a great job opportunity which happens to be in the same city as his parents, brother and sister-in-law -- Pittsburgh!

This is very bittersweet for me because I spent the last six years in Austin. I went to college here, earned an engineering degree and ended up discovering my passion, which is now my career.  Austin is where I set up my HQ and started my business from scratch! I've made so many life-long friends here and am very sad to leave.

However, I have done a lot of moving from state to state and I am always excited about an opportunity to move into a new place and discover new things and meet new people, so I took this news with utmost positivity!

Pittsburgh Skyline by Prints 'n' Ribbons

Good things to come from this move?

  • I will be just a short flight (or 7 hour drive) from Chicago and NYC. That means MORE appearances at vendor events near two of my largest customer bases!  
  • I will get to see changing seasons! I love snow and will hopefully get used to the cold. But I may not enjoy it as much at first as I do love my Texas heat. :)
  • Pittsburgh Steelers! The Boy recruited me to be a fan when we started dating, and I've been a fan ever since.
  • Hubert can breathe! Like most brachycephalic dogs, they can't stand the heat, and the Texas heat takes quite a toll on this little smooshed face baby. So, colder weather means better breathing (and longer walks, yay!).
  • We'll be near family! I've never been away from my family, and The Boy hasn't lived near his family in about 10 years, so this will be an interesting change. I will definitely be learning some super-secret Indian family recipes that I will super-secretly share with you, too! ;)

In the meantime, The Boy and I are working hard to make sure our move is smooth and successful -- especially because I have to move my entire business during the busiest time of the year for me and I'm hoping that I don't have to shut down my shop and that I can continue to work up until our move-out and into our temporary living and into our permanent residence (we're still looking for a place!).

Which reminds me. The holidays are JUST around the corner.  Remember that I have a three-week turnaround time, so the earlier you order your holiday gifts, the more likely I can have them delivered before Christmas!

Back to work + packing + organizing!

10 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jenny, congrats on the big move! Sounds like there are plenty of wonderful things for you on the horizon in Pittsburgh! (mmm, can't wait to see amazing Indian recipe yums on your blog!) I definitely know a thing or two about moving, and I can tell you that it's all about staying excited and wanting to make your new place your new home. Best of luck with moving your life and business! Also, since you're near New York, that means a cheap flight to Europe :)

    xoxo from Stockholm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to grad school an hour away from Pittsburgh and I really loved that city--I was surprised how beautiful it is. Good luck there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big congrats to you, The Boy, and Hubert! I hope the move goes really smoothly and I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures in Pittsburgh (and those Indian recipes!). xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting! We just moved to DC from Austin, and I'm loving the changing leaves, but am not so sure about the looming cold weather. Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny, good luck to you! I am happy I had a chance to meet you at Austin Renegade last spring! Hope everything goes smoothly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your move. That is such a change, but I'm sure you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jenny! Best of luck. Austin will miss you too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh thats big news indeed. Well although you will miss austin I am sure you will love Pittsburg once you get settled in. Well done to the boy for getting a great job too.
    Daisy Dayz Home
    Cross-Jones-Photography Home

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Jenny! Good luck! Austin will miss you. I'm so glad I got the chance to meet you while you were here.

    ReplyDelete