Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Future Sister


I've always wanted an older sister. Well, that's not true. I never knew what life would be like with a sister until we moved to Pittsburgh and live 1 mile from The Boy's older brother, who has a beautiful wife, Aparna, who will be my sister.

I grew up with an older brother. I thought Barbies were meant for fighting Ninja Turtles, dancing was for wussies, and pink was for girls. I thought I was supposed to save my allowance so I could buy the newest video game. I thought winning a burping contest was THE greatest achievement.

Okay. I exaggerate. Or do I? You get the point.

Then, I met Aparna. She has become a great older sister to me. She's showing me the ropes on how to be an Indian bride and what it takes to be a Nemlekar -- my future name!

Side note: Isn't it great I don't have to change my business name? I get to keep the N!

She's an attorney by day (and into some nights), a workout partner by night, farmer's market/theater goer by weekend, science geek, Apple lover, and a wedding-planning-crafter by times in between when we talk about how we're going to decorate for The Boy and my wedding. We're like the same person --except she's a lawyer and I'm a designer. Details.

It's all so fun and girly and perfect that she has become my big sister just in time to help me with an important transition in my life. :)

Did I also mention that she's gorgeous?

p.s. This doesn't mean older brothers aren't great. But I think Chris (my brother) can only nod his head for so long as I talk about fashion, cooking and home decor before he goes, "Jenny, shut up. I'm trying to beat this boss!"

3 comments:

  1. that's so wonderful that you guys are close! She seems like a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indian weddings are so beautiful!! everything just makes me go ooooh and awwwe!

    i have an older brother too and I love him, but some things he just doesn't care about! :) i suppose it goes both ways though. theres only so much about cars and video games i can take! ;)

    ReplyDelete