Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Tofu Dumplings

Tofu Dumplings

Since I've been hanging out with Aparna, I've become more drawn to vegetarian cuisine. She's vegetarian and introduced me to this amazing world of tofu. Yes, I'm Asian, I should know tofu. But I never knew how versatile it was until Aparna showed me all the different ways I can cook with it and how it's essentially a nice sponge for all flavors.

Now, I have to admit, the texture of chicken and pork doesn't sit too well with me and I prefer the texture of tofu. So overall, good choice for me because:

1. Tofu is cholesterol-free
2. Tofu is really cheap
3. Tofu doesn't require a lot/any cooking time

Overall, winner protein source!

Tofu Dumplings
Tofu Dumplings


Ingredients

Firm tofu, drained, crumbled
Ginger
Garlic
Coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)

Hoison Sauce
Sesame Oil

Mix all ingredients.
Dip your fingers in water and wet wonton wrappers
Pile a spoonful of filling onto each square
Fold in half and press to seal
Keep them moist with a damp paper towel on top while you work

Place, one at a time, in bowling water and remove when they float to the top
I place a max of 6 in my big bowl of water at a time to prevent sticking

Serve with soy sauce with a bit of sweet chili sauce

It's heavenly.

You can indulge a little and pan-fry these little guys, or make them in a yummy broth for dumpling soup, but I like them plain and dipped.


Tofu Dumplings

This past weekend, we had a vegetarian dinner where Aparna and I prepared asparagus sushi rolls, these dumplings and miso soup. To be honest, I think our guys barely noticed that there wasn't a single piece of meat in the entire dinner.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of making ravioli from scratch. Did you buy the wrappers as pre-made sheets? Where do you get that kind of thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, definitely bought the wrappers premade in the frozen section of the Asian market. Though you can find them in normal grocery stores as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete