Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Book Review: Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants


I wouldn't consider myself an avid reader considering this was the first book I picked up and completed since high school. Seven years ago. I completed high school with all my fine arts, psychology, English, government and history classes required for the University of Texas College of Engineering because I received credit for those classes either through AP classes or during night classes/summer classes during my high school years. I used to be an academic overachiever. After high school, notsomuch.

I used to be quite the book worm.

In high school, we were on that accelerated block schedule where we took four classes per semester (like college). Our required reading was assigned to us the summer before English class started and I would read the books during the summer on my lunch break while working at Banana Republic and go home and read. If I had English in the spring semester, I would re-read those books over Christmas break as a refresher. Looking back, I think I was a little nuts.

When I entered college, I didn't do a lot of reading. I considered myself an efficient skimmer, in that I would skim the pages of my engineering books for answers to homework. Or use the handy interwebs. Before finals, I would limit myself to two hours of studying per class the day before the final. I ended up making exactly average, maybe a few points below. At that point, I had given up on engineering and I knew I wanted to do something else with my life. I got my degree and I moved on.

I did however take other fun, easy classes in Advertising and Psychology as a GPA buffer to make up for my lack of studies in Biomedical Engineering. Those classes were way more fun, but I didn't have time to read any of the books because I was struggling to get through my core classes. 

Now that I do only what I love to do and on my own time, there's no excuse to abandon all those things I used to love like reading, shopping and doing laundry each week.

I started reading again.

I am starting slow and reading only books written by funny people. They tend to be easy to read and do not require any higher brain function than following the lines.

Bonus: They make me laugh out loud and annoy The Boy when he's reading his psychological thrillers and super-cerebral philosophy books. 


Oh, so here's my review:

Tina Fey is amazingly hilarious. This book made me laugh, cry and left me with the strong desire for more.  I want to find a friend like Ms. Fey.  I think I love her.

5 Thumbs Up.

1 comment:

  1. Jess (ohjustjess) lent me this book and I'm currently reading it - Good so far!

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete