Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Shrimp and Scallop Pizza

Shrimp and Scallop Pizza

You already know that we have this thing for shrimp and scallop. I'm not sure what it is. I grew up as a surf and turf girl. Steak + Shrimp. Steak + Scallops. Steak + Lobster. I was strongly influenced by my dad on those dishes.

I lost the love of steak some months ago so I gave it up.  Although I haven't had a large serving of beef in some time, I do indulge in beef every now and then.  Like for this pizza, for instance.

Get yourself a roll-out-top-and-bake thin pizza crusts. Prebake it with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.

Dice kosher salami and pan fry until crispy then drain on paper towel. Season scallop (sliced in half) and shrimp (also sliced in half) with cajun seasoning and pan sear in the same pan (this is when things start to get really tasty). Set the shrimp and scallop aside and don't you dare wash that pan yet!

It should have little bits of salami, shrimp and scallop stuck on the bottom. If the cooking gods didn't leave you any bits, you can hang your head in shame that you used a really nice nonstick pan. :(

Now for the sauce. Add oil to that same pan, then diced onion and cook until tender and golden. Scrape off those little bits off the bottom, while you're at it. Mmmm.

Add flour and cook. Add water (or broth of some sort) + soy sauce (because I'm Asian), you can use salt or seasoning salt + pepper. Simmer until thick. If you really want to indulge, Google recipes for "bechamel sauce" and you can use that instead. I have to watch my figure, so I made a very modified version.

Top your prebaked crust with the sauce, then sprinkle with your meaty toppings and broil until it smells like a party. I didn't broil mine long enough because my crust isn't quite golden brown.  But I was impatient, and I wanted to eat.

Top with chopped cilantro (or basil or baby spinach) and enjoy with a glass of wine. Red or white, it doesn't matter.  Not too dry, not too sweet. Ever-so-slightly chilled.

Then take a long nap.
Shrimp and Scallop Pizza

If I really wanted to make this rich, I would place little bits of cream cheese all over the top and THEN broil. Whew, too rich! Maybe after the wedding.

1 comment:

  1. holy yum! That looks amazing, I will be showing this to my husband (the cook in our house) and begging for a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete