Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Painting: Austin Memorabilia

Paintings done

The Boy wanted some colorful art above our newly-installed floating bar (BESTA BURS wall shelf) that we got for half-price because it was in the as-is section at IKEA. It's previous life was a display piece in a living room showroom. This is typically used to store media above an entertainment set, but since we don't own a TV, our second thought was a bar. Naturally?

I haven't painted anything in years. Many years. Like, high school years I am pretty sure. Wow, really? Nine years? Time flies.

I had some canvases that I purchased to paint some simple pieces for our headboard alternative, but that never panned out (see above statement).

Boy and I decided that we should have some art to reflect our previous life in Austin, TX.  Cute, huh? Sadly, it's not a gushy goopy story. Many of our weekends were spent with amazing friends on 4th-6th streets. If you've lived in/visited Austin, you'll know what I mean.

I should mentioned that I lied earlier. I was not a part of this idea for the art. It was just him.  But, since we're getting married, I figured it would be nice to consider all his ideas my own as well. :)

I actually wanted to make life easy and mount a $10 mirror from Walmart and call it a day. That was quickly vetoed.

He suggested painting the memorable drinks of Austin. I didn't like the idea of having the actual representations of drinks (too difficult for my skill-level), so I suggested making abstractions of those drinks. We came to an agreement.

Concepts for bar paintings

I started with mini drafts with ink and marker and texted the drafts to Boy until I got the final approval. I cut the drafts out, taped them together and tested the colors and placement.

Bar paintings color/placement test

I then penciled on the canvas, mixed colors and painted each color at a time, from lightest color to darkest, to save myself trips to wash my brushes. Efficiency is key here.

Bar painting drafts

The end result: See first image.

So now, a quiz for you. Can you figure out the three drinks?

If you've lived in Austin, it may be a little more obvious. If you know us personally, you will probably be able to figure it out pretty easily based on our favorite places to visit in Austin.

Yes, I took a (time-away-from-the-sewing-machine-to-stay-sane) day-off yesterday to do this project. I'm rejuvenated now and continue getting back to the daily grind.

Love,
Jenny

p.s. We got those two bright bar chairs at the Pittsburgh Flea (a block from our apt!) for $25. For both! I know, right?
p.p.s. What's on the shelf? Vintage ice bucket, Graffiti Cocktail Shaker, glasses, empty bottles for mixers, gin, Maker's and Glenlivet.

5 comments:

  1. I've got the first and third ones figured out but the middle is giving me trouble...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the middle one was difficult to do in a simple way. But the red/yellow/orange section is a flame. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the color of the drink should not be green. Brown wasn't in my color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got it! I love the creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I see a Mexican Martini on there! Trudys ...... (?)

    I'm from Dallas, living in Corpus currently ...

    Love me some Austin!

    ReplyDelete