Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

(Almost) Married Life

When Boy and I moved to Pittsburgh nine months ago, we were faced with a steep increase in rent to live in our nice little urban-decay-turned-fancy-loft apartment in the city. We decided to offset the increase by opting out of cable and a TV.

We only watched TV sparingly in the apartment lobby, for important things like Steelers football. But even during those times, the lobby would be full of neighbors and a small potluck and we would socialize.

Our nights, which were once filled with the sound of TV and vegging on the couch were now filled with lots of conversation and cuddling. Boy would spend hours reading while I sketched new bag designs. We'd have romantic dinners in the kitchen at the dinner table. We'd frequent the gym and explore our new city. Weekends were spent outside, visiting the nearby markets, or shopping for new things for our new apartment. We were living a new life with just the two of us. It's been romantic and exciting!

Oooooo

So naturally, when my brother emails us saying he's sending us a TV for our wedding gift, we had a sit-down for a serious discussion on how it would impact our new life in the 'Burgh.

It went something like this:

Me: [reading e-mail] OMG! CHRIS! TV! WEDDING GIFT!
Boy: WTF! HELL YES!
Me: CABLE!
Boy: CALLING!!!

Thank you, Chris. You're the best brother ever!

Love,
Your little sister

p.s. Now that my date-night-outfit-modeled-with-a-bag-from-my-shop wall has been replaced with a TV and our couch now divides our living room from my studio, I'll have to find a new spot to take pictures.  No worries.  I'm a trained problem-solver.

p.p.s. I can see the TV just fine from my studio (photo above of my view). Productivity killer right before Renegade Chicago! Oh noes!

5 comments:

  1. I just completed a request from my wife to install new hooks so she could hang one of the purses she purchased from you. Kudos to your great designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cracked me up. Congratulations on your new addition to your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - Awesome.

    Jim and I have been sans-TV since the move (we left ours behind and don't plan on getting another until the holiday close-out sales) - Unplugging and spending time with your loved one is great and all ... but sometimes the best thing to do in the evening is curl up with that person and watch some of your favorite trashy TV ya know!? :) Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Heather!

    Sasha - I totally agree. Even though we're vegging on the couch watching Hoarders, it's nice that we're both vegging together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog through your amazing Etsy store. Can I just say a few things:
    a. Your bags are amaze.
    b. YOU are hilarious and made my day.
    c. Can I come to this 3 day event? Give me a duty and I'll be free labor. I don't mind helping you pee. Ok, jk ... but fuhreal, it sounds fab.

    xo
    Erin

    ReplyDelete