Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Candied Walnuts

Candied Walnuts

I made an XL batch of candied walnuts for a going away party for one of our favorite neighbors, Eric.

I ended up eating handfuls of candied walnuts after I made them, so I think I ended up taking a M to L batch to the party.

I had to swat a few hands away from my nuts near the end of the party so I could take them home.

Just kidding.

Not really.

Yes, really.

Candied Walnuts

My favorites are the small pieces of walnuts floating on a sugar island.

Candied Walnuts
Adapted from this recipe

Hmm... I just realized I didn't measure anything, so I will omit the amount of materials and just tell you how I made it, and probably did it incorrectly. Remember? Sugar + heat + I don't get along.

Walnuts
Sugar
Cinnamon
Salt
Milk
Vanilla Extract

I toasted walnuts in a pan. Meanwhile, in another pan, I heated sugar, cinnamon, salt, milk until the mixture got all boily and scary and then I added vanilla and poured the entire thing onto the walnuts. I don't think it got to a "soft ball" stage because I freaked out.

Don't do what I did. Wait until you get to the "soft ball" stage and do what the original recipe states.

You'll probably have tastier nuts.

Mine were good, though.

I won't lie.

Candied Walnuts

p.s. My batik napkin is from MargotBianca. She makes great batiks. I use some for my Travelers.

2 comments:

  1. I love your food posts! The photos are amazing...
    Thanks for inspiring me to get back to work on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these at Christmas. I love them, but my hips say they aren't necessary.

    And then I have to make more batches cuz I was forced to eat so many. :)

    Maybe I'll make them early this year ... like today early.

    ReplyDelete