Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Flashback Friday: Seeing Stars



I thought about saving this for July 4th, but it's on a Wednesday this year, and "Flashback Wednesday" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

At one stage of my childhood, I wanted to be a dancer.

My dad decided it was an impractical skill to learn so he encouraged made me take up competitive swimming and Taekwondo.  Story of my life.

To appease my dancing desires, however, my mom took me to Goodwill for a costume and baton --that's when I taught myself to twirl a baton after a few broken vases and bruises on my head.  (Also when I learned that you can buy everything awesome at Goodwill.)

It wasn't until my sophomore year in high school that I tried out for the dance team (and made it!) where I could dance my heart out.  At pep rallies.  Halftime at football games.  Dance competitions.   In an equally awesome red, white and blue costume.  With stars.  And fringe!  With pompoms instead of a baton.  And cowboy boots (which started that obsession, note exhibit A).  It was the best year ever!

Then, my dad's job transferred to another city where I started my junior year at a new high school. 

Instead of making new friends, I got a part-time job at Banana Republic and got knowledged on fashion, visual merchandising and retail over the next two years.  I also amassed two closets full of clothing from BR.  And a sizable (and continually growing) shoe collection.

Look how that turned out.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I miss fun times with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen/Small Earth VintageFriday, March 23, 2012

    Love it!  I went through a baton phase, too--but I don't think it lasted long.  You're so cute, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete