Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Waxed Canvas





You know, I realized that last Friday, I didn't finish my story on how my dad has influenced my life.

I'll continue now. 

Recap: First, when I was a kid, I had to do push ups as punishment which resulted in amazingly sculpted decently toned arms.

Secondly, my dad is never short of advice.  (Is this a common trait of all dads?)

When my parents finally came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to use my biomedical engineering degree and actually pursue to work for myself to design and hand make bags, my dad had no problem whatsoever offering never-ending lectures a bit of unsolicited advice tips.  You know, because Dads can't help themselves.

The thing is, he likes to give advice by first discussing something interesting, and then he'll drop the "you know, you should try...." at the end. 

I remember a time when he recalled some details about his Navy days during Vietnam. Of course for me, he talked about fabric and clothing, otherwise I'll zone out once I hear, "Back when I was in the Navy...".  He described the white summer uniforms made from cotton twill, thicker navy blue winter uniforms... explained epaulets... brass buttons... then suggested this material that was impregnated with wax and used for tents and duffel bags and things... weather resistant... durable... Blah, blah blah, I roll my eyes as if my dad knows anything about fashion and making handbags.

Years later, here I am, with waxed canvas bags in my shop. 

Story of my life.

I do admit, this fabric is fantastic. It's heavy-duty and naturally weather resistant.  It also gets more distressed as it ages (much like my favorite leathers!).

You can find the Packet in Sepia Brown and Dark Shadow waxed canvas in the shop now.  Both colors are also available in the Briefcase --just ask for a custom order.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Probably my favorite bag plus fabric paring in your shop:  Briefcase + Waxed Canvas.  Give me one for free??????  Maybe after the show seasonnnnn???
     

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can give you one for free if you buy a new couch set for our living room. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aneesah SatriyaFriday, March 16, 2012

    Ahhh the bags look SO yummy. =Q *drooling*

    I love your stories by the way. =) I love stories in general, but yours are just nice to read. ^__^

    ReplyDelete